In talking to another vet, I just learned about the PDBR opportunity. I was MEB/PEB from the Air Force with a 10% rating, and about six months later the VA bumped it to 30% without a fight. I received a $16,000 severance payment, which I am still paying off. I have been reading up on the PDBR process, and have a few questions (much of this is confusing to me, there's some contradictory info out there, and I'm an ignoramus when it comes to retirement issues):
1. In regards to the severance pay, let's say the PDBR agrees and recommends a rating of 30% and retirement status. What effect would this have on my severance pay and my monthly payments to repay the severance pay?
2. The severance pay was considered taxable income, and I think retirement pay is non-taxed. Is there any remedy for me to recover the money taxed from me?
3. This may be showing my ignoramus grasp of the issues, but I heard about concurrent pay - if the PDBR grants retirement status, does this mean I get retirement money AND disability money concurrently?
4. I feel strongly that under the VASDR, I should have clearly received 50% for my unfit condition, for which the AF gave me 10% and the VA gave me 30%. (I have been meaning to appeal to the VA to get 50%, but never did.) Should I make the argument in my DD 294 that the PEB should have granted 50%?
5. If I make the claim for 50% and the PDBR agrees and gives me 50%, what is the effective date for this award?
6. If I get this 50% award, will the VA automatically raise my VA rating from 30 to 50%?
Thank you very much for answering these questions! This former load toad appreciates it.